In an earlier post, we have explained what outlook data files are. They are as what it mentioned, stores our data in outlook.
A backup allow you to restore back your important emails, contact and calendar. To backup, we will need to know where the pst ost files are located.
Default locations of the outlook data file. (Outlook 2010 / 2013 / 2016 / 2019 / 365)
For OST files, generally they are saved in. “C:\Users\<your username>\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\“
For PST file, they are usually saved in the folder. “C:\Users\<your username>\documents\Outlook Files\“
There are some instances the outlook data files are not stored in their default location. To verify
- When outlook is opened, click on the top left “File“
- Once “File” is clicked, another image will appear
- Click on Account Settings > Account Settings
- Another window will appear. Select the “Data Files” Tab
- Under “Location” Column, you will be able to see where the various PST / OST files are stored. To allow you to quickly access the file location, highlight on one of the “Outlook Data File” and click “Open File Location“
- File explorer will open up and bring you directly to the folder which contains the PST / OST data file.
To backup the outlook data file,
- Close “Outlook” and navigate to the folders which contained the PST files opened up earlier on.
- Highlight the PST file(s)
- Right click on the file(s) and select “Copy”
- Paste the file into your external storage medium, such as external hard disk or thumbdrive.
- Wait for the transfer to complete.
- Repeat if you have data in other folders.
Others: Generally it not needed to backup OST outlook data files as the email data are synchronized with the email server. OST data files are created when the IMAP or Exchange protocol is used while setting up the email account. To understand more about pop and imap email settings, click the link.
To check which email protocol your email account is in used, instead of clicking the “Data Files” tab above, click on the “Email” Tab